HTOWN | 25 | M | cat | @tclapp
In addition to personal growth, I’ve been reflecting on my relationships—both platonic and romantic.
Drawing from my own (admittedly limited) experience dating, close friendships, and talking to friends in healthy relationships, the following are qualities I find myself seeking in others:
- Curious about themselves and the world around them. Cherishes new experiences, learning, and opportunities for personal growth.
- Honest, especially with themselves. Introspective and embraces perspectives other than their own. Open to reconsidering even firmly held beliefs.
- Challenges you intellectually and otherwise. This doesn’t mean non-stop debate, but someone whose opinions you respect and are receptive to.
- Inspires others, and helps them explore their potential. They’ll support you when you stumble, but won’t coddle you.
- Excellent communicator, both in terms of articulating themselves and not shying away from difficult conversations.
- Self-determined and confident. They aim to impress themselves—not others—and maintain humility.
- Can laugh and be laughed at. Doesn’t take themselves too seriously, and isn’t offended by a good light-hearted ribbing.
- A partner, not a sidekick. Desires companionship and the company of others, but is fundamentally independent and their own person.
- Last but not least, a person to do nothing with—someone you’re completely at ease and enjoy spending downtime with.
In a nutshell, the kind of people I keep close are those who bring out the best in me, and who I in turn bring out the best in. I don’t believe in the concept of “the one” with friends or dating, but I do believe there are people with whom you’re naturally compatible, and where your union represents a whole greater than the sum of its parts.
I’m lucky to be surrounded by so many amazing people already, grateful to them for allowing me to be a part of their lives, and will never stop searching for more.
a reminder from moot to cut the shitty people out of your life
got that super cheap lease! house with a humongous yard here i come!